My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://transplantblog.angelcove.us
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, August 18, 2008

Transplant Update & the Olypmics



Every 6 months my husband has a post-transplant clinic appointment. He spends the entire day at the UW-Madison hospital where he undergoes a chest x-ray, PFTs, blood tests, a 6-minute walk and a meeting with his transplant coordinator and doctor.

Once again he passed all his tests with flying colors. His lung function is holding steady at a whopping 93% and he is able to walk circles around the hospital. His new lungs are evident that waiting 3.5 years and having 5 dry runs is worth its weight in gold. And, it is always great fun to hear his call from his cell phone on the way home (2-hour drive) to let me know how everything went. You can actually hear the smile on his face.

This time, he threw me for a loop during his call home. It seems that the hospital has extended an invite to the 2010 U.S. Transplant Games! That's right! He is one of their most healthiest patients so they think it would be a wonderful idea for him to become one of the athletes for Team Wisconsin when the games are held in Madison, Wisconsin that year.

Of course, given that they are being held in the hometown of his transplant and the fact that his health is doing wonderfully, he decided to get more information on it. Once he found out that there is an event in golf, his smile got huge and we are now training for the 2010 Transplant Games! Yes, I say "we" because there is a 5K event open to both transplant recipients and their families so I will be running in the 5K event that year!

This is just too awesome for words. Us - in the Transplant Olympic Games - how awesome is that!? It was not only a miracle for my wonderful husband to get his transplant but now to be an athlete in an once-in-a-lifetime event! All I can say is life is good!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Ronik said...

Congratulations!!! This is so awesome!

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WoooHooo!!! *happy dance*
Congrats!!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Major thanks! We are very excited.

Of course my trainer started working with me yesterday and it seems someone poured cement into my muscles overnight. It is always most difficult in the beginning but I will be a running champ in no time. Greg, on the other hand, is practicing his golf swing as I type this. :P

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to your husband on his invite to the games! I am a transplant survivor (liver) and plan to join the games in 2010. I hope we'll all get a chance to meet!
Best wishes to you both and Happy Training!

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home