My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://transplantblog.angelcove.us
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Caremark Transplant Medication Recall

As I answer the phone, the woman on the other line says the following in a very calm matter:


Hello, I am from your home medicine delivery company, Caremark. This is courtesy call to let you know that we are running a recall on your husband's medication Azathioprine. Could you please check your husband's medication and describe what the pills in the bottle look like so that I may confirm that he received the correct medication?

Half of me chuckled, thinking how the woman would react had I told her "no" instead of going to check the medication. I know it is a polite way of saying that I need to go and check but such urgencies do not escape a wife when such a statement is made that the medication her husband is taking may be wrong and may kill him. Needless to say, I ventured over to the cabinet and pulled out the large bucket with all of Greg's transplant medications. As I looked at them, I realized it was going to take me a couple of minutes to locate the one bottle out of the more than dozen or so I had before me. I told the woman to hold, found the bottle, picked up the phone, and then stuttered as the name of the drug left my tongue. They are small yellow pills with a score mark on one side and the numbers 54043 on the opposite side.

My heart raced in those few seconds of silence as the woman on the other line checked her records. Why she didn't know beforehand escapes me! A small sigh came from the other end of the phone when she confirmed that he did have the correct medication and she then apologized for the inconvenience. Hmm, an apology for possibly sending my husband the wrong medication that could have killed him and calling to make sure you didn't? I laughed and told her to feel free and call back anytime they think they had sent us the wrong medication. I would much rather have the inconvenience of a phone call rather than a funeral.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home