My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://transplantblog.angelcove.us
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Finally! An Update!

Yes, I finally have an update on my wonderful husband. I am pleased to say that Greg is doing quite well and does not have any more scheduled bronchoscopies. The normal process post-double lung transplant is to have them once a day, then once a month, then once every 6 months and then once a year. I am not sure if it is because there have been recent findings that state that bronchs can be quite dangerous. The transplant clinic told him that they no longer think he needs them. That is, of course, unless something changes in his health.


Although he hasn't been working out at the health club much anymore, his lung function has once again hit it highest number. I believe it is close to the 85% lung function range, which is only second to the 86% that he has been able to reach at the hospital. Why are his lung functions still climbing 2 years after his transplant? I insist that it is because he has been walking our Labrador Retrievers every morning. This early morning exercise has forced him to open those lungs up so much that by the time he does his morning spirometry, his lungs have a great deal of power. Needless to say, I am happy either way. He is healthy and doing wonderfully. What more could a girl want?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger BreathinSteven said...

Hi Shannon!!!

What a nice thought, "What more could a girl want?"... I also have a precious wife who has taken care of me through my CF and transplant -- What more could a guy want?!?!

Our transplant center in Illinois deals similarly with bronchs -- we receive about 4-5 scheduled through the first year and more if something is indicated -- And then after the first year they cease unless a change calls for one. In our case, I think that the guidelines of not doing them after a year is a mix between the risk of the procedure, and the fact that the annual ones didn't prove to be giving much in the way of information if a recipient is doing dandy... And it sounds like Greg is!

I agree that they told us early on that our lung function would typicall peak at about a year... Like Greg, mine has climbed beyond that too... I showed improvement through my third year -- but I had become more active in different ways 2-3 years after transplant... And you're probably right -- Walking those Labs every morning is wonderful exercise and it tends to have some consistancy because they need to go out every day!

I'm six and a half years out of trnasplant -- I hope your Greg stays as healthy as I've been! And after living so many years with crappy, cystic fibrosis lungs -- I hope he's as AMAZED as I am every morning he wakes up!

I'm lucky enough to have learned who my donor and donor family is -- My wife and I met them a few years ago... My donor was a beautiful 17-year-old girl from Iowa named Kari... I've met her precious family -- And I've met several of her precious young friends... They are my precious young friends now.

This breathin' stuff ROCKS!!! But then I'm sure you understand that!

I have a little website my princess helped me build that is some of my tribute to Kari... It's at:

www.ClimbingForKari.org

I hope Greg continues to do well! I'm so happy for you and him...

Love,

Steve

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home