My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://transplantblog.angelcove.us
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, October 10, 2005

As winter approaches...

... the cold seeps into my bones and makes me regret the days of secretly wishing the 90-degree temperatures would be dismissed. The chill is not so much of the cold as it is the wind and the feeling of death and dying around me. The leaves have changed to shades of purple, gold, and brown, which signifies the end of one stage of life and the beginning and the hibernation that is called winter. Alas, humans cannot merely hibernate as the trees or wildlife - we must continue on and expected to do so with smiles enlightening our faces. But how to create such a smile when the cold fills our veins and saps the energy from the very core of our being? The comfort of our beds beckon us throughout the day; coaxing us to feel its warmth and remember, if even slightly, the warmth of life anew.

Wisconsin does not leave many slowly but rather in one cold breath, all of life is taken from the beauty that is nature; only to be filled with a stark white color and such unbelievable coldness. With this change in climate comes cabin fever, colds, depress, flu, and lack of activity that has become our society.

Why is it that we, as adults, cannot remember the time when we, as children, would button up our snowsuits and rush out into the winter; being greeted with the cold gently kissing our cheeks. Alas, those days are long forgotten - replaced by duty and responsibility. How I long for those days where I couldn’t wait to show off my new pair of moon boots or "freaky freezy" gloves. I remember how the purple peacock on my gloves would show up only when met by the cold - the two greeted each other like old friends and it was then that I realized that the winter was made for children. Only the imagination of children could grasp the possibilities that existed during the winter - ice cave, snowball fights, snowmen (& women!), sleigh rides, and oh, of course, my father having all the children hold tight to my large German Shepherds’ collar as my father threw the ball and my Smokey dragged us all through the ice and snow as though we were merely flies on his back. (laugh) Oh! The great fun winter brings to children! If only adults were give snow days, moon boots, freaky freezy gloves, and a cup of hot cocoa to warm them when they were done playing with Mr. Winter - if only for an hour.

~Shannon
http://www.angelcove.us
http://www.cafepress.com/dakotasden