My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://transplantblog.angelcove.us
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, October 17, 2005

Chai Tea

As I sit here and sip my Chai Tea, I try to distance myself from the pressures of the world: work, finances, family problems, illnesses, etc. It is difficult to calm my mind down these days and that is why it is so important to take a vacation every once in a while - even if you never leave your own home. (smile) This morning, I promptly woke up at 5:30am, logged onto the computer, and sent out a very short email to my team at work: "I will be out of the office today (PTO)." That's it - done deal - I took the day off for no other reason than to spend time with myself and leave all the stresses of the world behind.

What would prompt such action? Well, first of all I have 11 (now 10) days of vacation time left this year and I must take all of these days or lose them when the new year hits. Second, we had planned to go to Florida for the Thanksgiving holiday but, alas, my uncle had emergency triple bypass heart surgery last week and will take over 6 weeks to heal. We were to go there for my aunt's 60th birthday but the visit would be too much stress on her as she helps my uncle get better. Of course, I know what it is like to be the primary caregiver and help a husband get better after major surgery - so I was able to appreciate the circumstances and agreed with my aunt that now was not the time to visit. Greg and I much rather wait until everyone can enjoy themselves and since my aunt and I are very close, and I would be spending a great deal of time with her, I want to make sure she can enjoy every minute we have together - not worry about my uncle's recovery. So, the 11 days of vacation time was added back to my "bank" and must now be used. Even though it is often difficult for me to take days off for myself, I have learned that it is necessary.

As I have told my aunt, you are no good to anyone if you do not take care of yourself. These were wise words "spoken" by my husband back when he was on a ventilator and I was running back and forth to the hospital (which was 2 hours away from home). It is true - you must take care of yourself first in order to have your strength to take care of others. With that said, I tried to not feel guilty as I watched Greg head out into the cold and out to work - with Dakota at his side to take her to daycare. Alas, it is just I who dwells in the house now. Just me, relaxation, and a cup of Chai Tea. :)

~Shannon
http://www.angelcove.us
http://www.cafepress.com/dakotasden