My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://transplantblog.angelcove.us
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, November 12, 2004

Sleep deprived...

Okay, I am highly sleep deprived and have forgotten at times what I have told you all so please forgive me if I repeat myself.I am back at the hotel from spending another couple of hours with Greg. He is in and out of sleep right now and that is good because tomorrow they are planning to pull the vent and let him breathe for the first time with his new lungs. I had to catch myself tonight because I told the Respiratory Therapist no to give him Tobi for his breathing treatment because his lungs don't handle it well. I have to laugh because my mother-in-law turned to me and said "You mean his old lungs couldn't handle that medication. These are new lungs." Wow! She was right. It is a whole new ballgame now and this is going to be an interesting learning process.Here are the stats on Greg though:
He had high blood pressure and was put on a small amount of Nitro to bring it down.
His oxygen level is at 100% on the vent (he has NEVER been 100%).
The medication to help him absorb oxygen has been decreased now to 10 parts per million (was 30 and needs to be 0 before getting him off the vent - they are decreasing it 5 every 4 hours)
He is moving all over the bed and the nurses keep commenting how he wants off the machines - we all laugh because of his stubborness
I had to tell him 12 times today that the Wisconsin Badgers football game is tomorrow because he keeps arguing with me (through hand signals) to put on the game today (I am good but not good enough to tell the Badgers to play today) (laugh)
He is on strong drugs to wipe his memory clean of all this time on the vent (see bullet above this one) (laugh)
Has 1 IV in each arm, 1 IV in the groin area, 5 chest tubes, 1 IV in the neck, 1 IV in the chest port, his G-tube is accessed, and he, of course, has a catheter (sp?).
Otherwise, all is good at UW-Madison. Oh! We got to meet with the surgeon today and he is not showing his enthusiasm in Greg's progress - he doesn't want to give us false hope. But as we have seen in the past, Greg doesn't follow the "norm" and he will continue to teach the doctors that the timeline is not a "one size fits all". He is defintely DIFFERENT! :)
Well, that is all from me for the night. Since we are in the hotel now, the updates are now going to come either 1 a night or I may also squeeze 1 in the morning as well - depends on how much news I have to share.
Our love to all!