My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://transplantblog.angelcove.us
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, November 22, 2004

Today's the Day

The day has finally come where my wonderful husband is to be released from the hospital. There are a flood of emotions that we are going through right now. Originally, before we realized he was dehydrated and low on calories yesterday, we were nervous about this day and whether or not we will be able to handle everything that needs to be done. Since Greg started to feel better yesterday and look/act more like his old self, the nervousness has passed and I find myself curious of what this new life will be like. Granted, we are not on our way home at this point but we will be alone for the first time since his miracle - just me, him, and his new lungs.We laughed yesterday as I told him that I may poke him every hour just to make sure he is still breathing while he sleeps. (laugh) It will be strange for me because all I have ever known is the coughing and hearing him breathe all the time. I have caught myself, in the hospital, looking at his chest closely as he slept, to make sure he was still breathing. Even though I have a great deal of medical knowledge, it truly escapes me how someone else's lungs can be put in his body and work so well. It is strange because I have been an organ donor since I was 14 years old, before I met Greg, yet I never realized what a miracle it truly is. I guess it is not for me to understand but to be thankful and praise God for the miracle that he has blessed us with.Now is the time for me to ask you all - are you an organ donor? If not, why not? When you leave this world, wouldn't you want to save this lives of over 55 people and leave a legacy of a hero? What good will your organs do you when you are no longer part of this world? I am sure that when we finally get to contact the organ donor's family, they will find peace in knowing that their loved one's lungs are giving someone a chance to breathe in this world and that the donor truly is not gone from this world. I will grant you that this will not fully take away the grief of losing this person but the peace found in the miracle of organ donation make help them find even the smallest form of solace in this world.We pray that you will not be an organ donor any time in the near future but we do pray that when the time does come, you share your gift of life with someone like Greg.