My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://transplantblog.angelcove.us
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, November 04, 2005

One Person

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but
stillI can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."
- Helen Keller(1880-1968) American Writer


Often people say that they are only one person and cannot make a difference in the world. So, instead, they sit idly on the sidelines and watch the game of life go on around them. If only for a minute they decided to live based upon the moment and take a chance, then they will see that one person can make a difference in the world.

I am that one person. Alone in the world as a child and teenager, I followed the pack and never believed I had any strength myself. Then I met Greg and things changed – I became an equal. That was the first time that I was introduced to a level playing field. Ironically enough, the beginning of our marriage was not that same level playing field and since I knew that it now existed, I was not going to give it up. Greg, on the other hand, was raised with the belief that the man runs the house (to a certain extent) and me, being raised by a man, knew better.

It was not until Greg’s illness started to get worse that the playing field leveled and abruptly changed on me. I was now in control. I had full responsibility over everything – even Greg. What happened? Life happened. It was during the times of his illness that I found strength in me that I never knew existed in another human being. It was then that I realized that even though I couldn’t do everything (and I did try!), I never refused to try and do something that was within my physical possibilities. During Greg’s recovery from his transplant, I used this new found knowledge of inner strength and drilled it into his head. My saying was: “I will do anything that you are not physically capable of doing but anything that you are physically capable of doing, you better get off your rear end and do!”

The playing field is level again but I have realized that not only did I (just one person) impact the life of one other human being but of thousands, if not millions. You see, my strength and my willingness to share my knowledge and experience has impacted other people in similar situations. My willingness to do something I can do; love another human being and be there through thick and thin; is a symbol of strength for others and the strength that I help them find is then transferred onto another human being and so on. How powerful is that?

With that said, I would like to take this moment to help someone who I have known for 10 years now. His name is James Binegar, he is in North Carolina, and just recently had a double lung transplant after battling Cystic Fibrosis. Unlike Greg, he is having quite a difficult time healing and that is why I am asking for prayers at this time. He has waited too long for this miracle and needs our help. We would appreciate it if you could please add him to your prayer list and keep him in your thoughts. If you would like to learn more about James, please feel free to visit his website here. Thank you and God bless!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home